CoderDojo bootcamp: Arduino
Bootcamp: knowledge session for coaches – introduction to Arduino on 12/12/19 - 18.30h-21.30h
The class will mostly consist of hands-on exercises to strengthen technical skills to support kids learning how to program robots.
Exercises will be hands-on whenever possible. We will promote interactions and peer review and we will propose activities before and during the class.
This session will be delivered as 1 evening class (12/12).
- Improve technical knowledge around Arduino and coaching
- Network with other coaches / dojo’s
- Introducing Arduino in your Dojo
- Equipment and infrastructure needed
- Before you buy: understand the different versions
- Arduino : the physical device
- Arduino features
- Basic electronic components needed
- Basic introduction to electronic circuits
- mBlock or Scratch for Arduino : block based development environment
- Installing the development environment
- Understand the different modes of operation
- Physical computing : experiment with leds, buttons, light sensors, buzzers…
- Examples of projects kids could do
- Arduino : text based development environment
- Approach to move from block mode programming to text-based programming (Arduino C)
- Advantages of text based programming
- Barriers to overcome, as a coach, as a kid
- Presenting Arduino boards to kids
- Typical difficulties when dealing with Arduino boards
- Typical difficulties when designing/assembling electronic circuits and how to support
- Available material to support coaching
- Support kids when presenting an Arduino project
Who should join ?
Prerequisites: this session requires a understanding of CoderDojo coaching approach and a basic knowledge of Scratch.
So we will welcome:
- Coaches who already have a good experience of CoderderDojo coaching and Scratch
- People who have attended the Coderdojo bootcamp.
What do you need to bring?
- (optional) if possible, bring your Arduino board with you
- Cool attitude
All of the sudden nominated for a Nobel prize? Or you decided to go hiking in South-America for a year? Maybe a last-minute surprise party (we hope one for you)? No worries, it happens. But if so, please be cool and don't forget to unsubscribe, so other coaches can get the chance to subscribe.
We respect your privacy
CoderDojo is fun so we like sharing that with the world. During our activities, we take pictures that may appear on social media afterwards so it could be the case that you get photographed or filmed during one of these CoderDojo activities. We don't use this footage on flyers or campaign without explicitly asking for permission. If you rather don't want your picture to be used, you can mention this at your registration.
Of course, we also respect your data. Want to know more? Check out our privacy statement on our website.